The Middle Township Police Department recognizes that quality of life issues can have a direct impact on crime as well as the ability of residents to feel safe within their neighborhoods. In an effort to improve the quality of life for the residents of Middle Township, the Police Department assumed control of the Code Enforcement function of Middle Township. The Code Enforcement Unit is a civilian staffed unit tasked with investigating and enforcing the local ordinances of Middle Township.
The Code Enforcement Unit consists of two full time officers. Mike Elias also assists the Middle Township Zoning and Construction Departments as part of his duties.
Full Time Officer James Amenhauser
Part Time Officer Mike Elias
The Code Enforcement Officers issue violation notices to residents who are not in compliance with the Middle Township Code. If a property is not brought into compliance, a complaint summons may be issued to ensure compliance.
VACANT PROPERTY REGISTRATION PROGRAM
Middle Township enacted a Vacant Property Registration Ordinance which became effective in 2017.
The Purpose of the ordinance is to:
- Identify properties in the foreclosure process (vacant or occupied)
- Require mortgage lenders to register properties that are in the foreclosure process and provide emergency contact information
- Provide emergency contact information concerning these properties and input that information into the Police Department Records Management System
- Identify deteriorated or neglected properties detracting from neighborhood values and report them to Code Enforcement for follow-up action
- Conduct regular follow-up and monthly inspections of the registered properties to insure compliance
- Conduct monthly inspections of the entire township visually looking for other properties that are abandoned or neglected and report them to township authorities
These duties are assigned to a contractually approved third party company that specializes in this type of activity. The current company who is handling this for the Township is Preferred Neighborhood Solutions, based out of North Wildwood, NJ.
Total Properties Registered in 2017: 309
This figure fluctuates throughout the year as properties are bought and sold and are no longer falling under the guidelines of the ordinance.